OLAPLEX is compatible with all Permanent Waves including Digital Perms. It is extremely important to use good judgement when perming compromised hair and to take proper test curls. By using OLAPLEX in and after your Perms, it completes the oxidation of the hair neutralization process. By doing this, there is no need for a 48-hour waiting period before shampooing.
OLAPLEX 12 Step Perming System:
Not every step is necessary, your professional judgment and the hair you are working on will dictate what steps you need to use.
- Do a thorough consultation to understand what the client wants or doesn’t want, and try to read between the lines into maybe what they aren’t saying.
- Shampoo the hair with a good chelating/de-mineralizing shampoo.
- *If the hair is compromised, Lightened, Color-Treated or previously Permed, take equal amounts of OLAPLEX No.2 and a good protein conditioner/reconstructor, mix in a bowl, apply to towel dried hair, working it through the highly porous/damaged areas with your fingers. After being applied, sit the client under a comfortably hot dryer without a plastic bag (you want the mixture to dry thoroughly into the hair). Once bone-dry, mist client’s hair with water and proceed to wrap Perm.
*You can skip this step with normal or virgin hair.
- After Perm is wrapped, add 1/16oz (1.875ml) of OLAPLEX No.1, BOND MULTIPLIER to waving lotion. Apply to rods. This will not slow down or hinder the processing time.
- Test curl immediately to gauge how long to set your timer for.
*Use your professional judgment when determining your test curl intervals.
- Once the curl is fully developed, rinse with water as hot as the client is comfortable with, to flush away any thio residues.
- Towel blot thoroughly, use towels first, then follow up with paper towels.
- Creep Time is the time between when you finish towel blotting and the time you begin to apply the neutralizer. With normal hair, leave 5 minutes before applying the neutralizer, fine hair and overly porous hair up to 30 minutes. This allows the softened hair to settle into its new formation and helps with curl resiliency and durability in the end result.
- Add 1/16oz (1.875ml ) of OLAPLEX No.1 BOND MULTIPLIER to neutralizer.
- Follow the steps on the following page according to the hair type you are working on (mix the OLAPLEX mixture in a non-spraying applicator bottle).
- After removing rods, rinse with cool water and give a light shampoo. There is no need for a 48-hour waiting period after neutralizing with OLAPLEX. As this completes oxidation, you may shampoo immediately after. We do not recommend using OLAPLEX No.2 due to weight and length of time left on the hair.
- Style as usual.
Use OLAPLEX No.1 BOND MULTIPLIER without diluting it – Apply neutralizer to each rod and time for 5 minutes. Rinse rods and towel blot. Apply OLAPLEX over each rod and set a timer for 5 minutes. At the end of the first 5 minutes, re-apply OLAPLEX over each rod and time for an additional 5 minutes. Remove rods and rinse thoroughly.
Hi-lift tinted and Highlighted (Multi-Dimensional):
Mix 1oz (30ml) OLAPLEX No.1 BOND MULTIPLIER with 3oz (90ml) water. (Distilled is preferred but not necessary unless you have hard water.) Apply neutralizer to each rod and immediately apply OLAPLEX mixture down over neutralizer. Time for 5 minutes. Re-apply OLAPLEX mixture and time for an additional 5 minutes. Remove rods and rinse thoroughly.
Mix 1/2oz (15ml) OLAPLEX No.1 BOND MULTIPLIER with 3oz (90ml) of water. (Distilled is preferred but not necessary unless you have hard water.) Apply neutralizer to each rod and immediately apply OLAPLEX mixture down over neutralizer. Time for 10 minutes. Remove rods and rinse thoroughly.